28 Jan Learn about Deforestation
Deforestation is when trees in the forest get removed so that the land/timber can be used for something else. This can happen for causes like farming, agriculture, food production, timber and fuel, and to grow crops.
The effects of deforestation are very impactful on the environment. Deforestation can cause:
- Soil erosion (can cause floods and landslides)
- Lack of biodiversity
- Climate change due to released carbon dioxide
- Habitat loss
What are some ways you can help prevent deforestation?
Shop for products that are made from sustainably forested materials.
- The organization Forest Stewardship Council promotes products from sustainably forested areas.
- When buying paper and other wood products make sure that the product is FSC certified.
- Avoid buying food that contains palm oil.
To read more please visit What Is Deforestation For Kids: Information And Facts (activewild.com)